I am primarily interested in security, privacy, formal methods, and programming languages. I received my PhD from University of North Carolina at Charlotte in 2012, supervised by Prof. Weichao Wang. I worked at CNRS Research Lab as a summer intern with Dr. Véronique Cortier. After graduation, I worked as a research staff at UC Berkeley with Prof. Dawn Song. More recently, I worked as a research scientist at Shape Security, helping build the world's first botwall.
- Zhiwei Li, Warren He, Devdatta Akhawe, and Dawn Song. "The Emperor's New Password Manager: Security Analysis of Web-based Password Managers", in 23rd Usenix Security Symposium, San Diego, 2014. (UC Berkeley Tech Report UCB/EECS-2014-138) [RSA 2015 talk]
Media coverage: PCWorld, TechCrunch , Computerworld, CSO, Tech Times, Ars Technica, The Register, Tom's Guide, Dark Reading, bit-tech, eSecurity Planet , CNN Money , Schneier on Security, etc.
- Devdatta Akhawe, Warren He, Zhiwei Li, Reza Moazzezi, and Dawn Song. "Clickjacking Revisited: A Perceptual View of UI Security", in 8th Usenix Workshop on Offensive Technologies, San Diego, 2014.
- Zhiwei Li and Weichao Wang. "Node Localization through Physical Layer Network Coding: Bootstrap, Security, and Accuracy", in Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks, 2012.
- Zhiwei Li and Weichao Wang. "Towards the Attacker’s View of Protocol Narrations (or, How to Compile Security Protocols)", in ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS), Seoul, May 2012.
- Zhiwei Li, Di Pu, Weichao Wang, and Alex Wyglinsk. "Forced Collision: Detecting Wormhole Attacks with Physical Layer Network Coding", in Elsevier Tsinghua Science and Technology, special issue on Wireless Mobile Computing and Networking, volume 16, number 5, pages 505--519, October 2011.
- Zhiwei Li and Weichao Wang. "Rethinking about Guessing Attacks", in ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS), Hong Kong, March 2011.
- Zhiwei Li and Weichao Wang. "Deciding recognizability under Dolev-Yao intruder model", in the Information Security Conference (ISC 2010), Boca Raton, Florida, October 2010.
- Li Yu, Lane Harrison, Aidong Lu, Zhiwei Li, Weichao Wang. "3D Digital Legos for Teaching Security Protocols", in IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies (TLT), 2010.
- Zhiwei Li and Weichao Wang. "Rethinking about Type-flaw Attacks", in IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM 2010), Miami, Florida, December 2010.
- Zhiwei Li and Weichao Wang. "Node Localization in Wireless Networks Through Physical Layer Network Coding", in IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM 2010), Miami, Florida, December 2010.
- Kyle Coble, Weichao Wang, Bei-Tseng Chu, and Zhiwei Li. "Secure Software Attestation for Military Telesurgical Robot Systems", in IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM 2010), San Jose, CA 2010.
- Weichao Wang, Zhiwei Li, Rodney Owens, Bharat Bhargava, and Mark Linderman. "Secure and Efficient Access to Outsourced Data", in ACM Cloud Computing Security Workshop (CCSW), in conjunction with ACM CCS, November 2009.
- Zhiwei Li and Weichao Wang. "Using Deductive Knowledge to Improve Cryptographic Protocol Verification", in IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM 2009), Boston, October 2009.
- Weichao Wang, Aidong Lu, Li Yu, and Zhiwei Li. "A Digital Lego Set and Exercises for Teaching Security Protocols", in Proceedings of Colloquium for Information Systems Security Education (CISSE), pp 26-33, Dallas, June 2008.
- Program Committees: ASIACCS 2014, ICC WPLS 2014, SERE 2014, WD 2013
- Conference Reviewing: SafeConfig 2013, CSS 2013, HPCC 2013, ICC 2008, IPCCC 2008
- Journal Reviewing: ACM Transactions on Information and System Security (TISSEC), IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (TDSC), Computers & Security (COSE), IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC), International Journal of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Computing (IJAHUC), Information Management & Computer Security (IMCS)